Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Love for Movies, Falling in Love with Jay Chou, and The Green Hornet, in No Particular Order

Posted by youknowyouloveme at 4:52 PM


Date of screening - 22 January 2011
Cinema - Greenbelt 3, Makati
Rotting Tomatoes - 45%
My Rating - 6/10


     One of my many varied interests, aside from watching animes, asian tv series, reading manga and picture-less books (ha!) and travelling, I also love to watch movies.  Yup, in fact, every week, I go to the theaters to watch anything that's being shown.  I am not particularly choosy when it comes to watching movies at the theaters.  I mean, if all movies showing within a certain week suck, I’d just choose the least crappy one.  It’s just like choosing the lesser evil.  Hahaha.  While I may be an easy sell as to  movies shown on the big screen, I am more discerning when watching movies on DVD.  I mean, with DVDs, I have the choice to watch movies that really appeals to me, so why the heck would I endure watching something I don't really like?

     So, what made me want to put up a blog regarding movies, aside from my love of movies?  Well, let’s just say that I watched The Green Hornet the other Saturday, and I was really impressed by Jay Chou who played Kato.  He seemed so cool!  In fact, I think that I fell in love with him.  Lol!  I was so affected by his on screen charisma that my heart started pumping hard!  Doki-doki.  It has never happened to me before,and I was really confused.  So, I thought, I should chronicle about those unexpected "moments."   Then, it occurred to me, why not start a blog and make my views known?  I am not a film critic, though; I just love movies.  And since I watch a movie every single week, I might as well write down my views about the movies I saw.  In plain language, it just means, "I want to express how much I fell in love with Jay Chou just by watching The Green Hornet but so as not to look like a crazed fan-girl, I'd start a movie review /reaction blog..." LOL!

     Well, what better way to start my blog than by writing about The Green Hornet?  (You had it coming, didn't you?)  I mean, it had received some bad and sometimes even pretty scathing reviews.  So, what are my thoughts about it? (Another excuse just to talk about Jay Chou?  Heh.) 

     While admittedly, the film had lots of flaws, I was still highly entertained.  I mean, I know the film was less than stellar; in fact, it was not so good as a whole.  I wonder how did that ever happen with Michel Gondry who directed the masterpiece, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (anyone who could make me like Jim Carrey must be a genius).  However, despite the ho-hum, The Green Hornet has a lot to offer in terms of comedy. The movie is still palatable, not only because I was smitten by Jay Chou, but because the film is funny!  Perhaps not Superbad  funny (it was co-written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, too, just like The Green Hornet) or Kick Ass funny, but it is still funny!

     ‘Fess up: you who watched The Green Hornet laughed so hard at the opening scene…if not, you rolled in laughter silently.  I mean, the genius of Christoph Waltz, as Chudnofsky, the vain villain whose name no one could pronounce, showed through while he was being dissed by the new-villain-on-the block, a.k.a. Crystal Clear played by the brooding James Franco who was equally delightfully funny in that scene.  Lest you forgot, Jame Franco starred opposite Seth Rogen in the weeds movie, Pineapple Express, as well as in the short-lived tv series, Freaks and Greeks.  So, he has street cred when it comes to comedies.


    Chudnofsky and his double-barreled gun.


     As for the character conceptualization, I can empathize with the haters of this movie; The Green Hornet, Britt Reid, was made to look like a rich, good-for-nothing party boy who is always in trouble and always in the center of every party in town; just like Paris Hilton.  In fact, Rogen even said that the character was patterned about the blond heiress.  Well, isn’t The Green Hornet a superhero? So why did Rogen portray Britt Reid as a male Paris Hilton bot in the movie? 
 
     I guess, Rogen wanted to break the hero mold; perhaps, he wanted to humanize the Green Hornet.  The Green Hornet is a human after all, and as a human, isn't he subject to the same follies and weaknesses of mankind? Must all heroes start out as geeks, goody-goody, wimpy,or holier-than-thou?  Don't we want to cheer on the prodigal son who found his way back?  Hmm...




     Oh well, I know the movie was not easy for some to digest, but really, it had its share of highs.  The highs, namely, the Black Beauty, the charming, good looking, human swiss army knife called Kato, played by Asian superstar, Jay Chou, the brotherhood and the not-so-subtle bromance between Kato and Reid, Chudnofsky, Gangsta's Paradise, and the fact that Kato and Britt Reid stood side by side as equal partners, not as master and servant.  I loved the way Rogen made Kato look not only as a hand-dandy sidekick but as an equal.  That scene when Britt Reid haughtily ordered Kato to make him coffee in front of Lenore Case (Cameron Diaz), and Kato angrily did what he was told but afterwards he pulled Reid for a warning not to do that again...with a punch that put a hole in the cabinet beside Reid's head?  Oh yeah, the scene where Reid and Kato were fighting was also another plus for me.  I mean, Kato kicked Reid's butt big time and were it not for the latter's sly tactics, he would have been a goner.

     And oh yeah, there was a lot of crap comments about Jay Chou's english.  Some find it really hard to understand what he says.  Personally, it was not that bad.  There are times that I want to ask, "what did he say?" but most of the times, he delivered his lines in good english, and I swear, he said something in Chinese in the movie.  He tried hard and english is not his first language.  Nonetheless, his lines weren't dubbed.  And putting subtitles would have been dumb.

     While the theater was quiet all throughout the movie, in fact, I was the only one laughing, and there were just about 50 or so people inside the theater on its opening weekend, I didn't regret buying that Php 320.00 ticket.  I was entertained by the movie, I was amused by the apathy of the people watching which made me wonder if they were all geezers or something, I had a new-found respect for Seth Rogen (who's really cute and cuddly when he's speaking/promoting about this movie even though he lost weight), I had my curiosity piqued by the stellar performance of Christoph Waltz and James Franco, I heard Jay Chou singing for the first time and in English, and I fell in love with him in our less than two hours encounter.  See, I really got my money's worth, although there's nothing to see in 3D.

     Question is, will I watch it again?  Yes.  I might want to own a DVD but Jay Chou is 90% of the reason why.  There.





     


2 comments:

j3n9 said...

hey there! saw this link in your travel site. you may wanna check the movie of Jay Chou - Initial D. Maybe you're familiar with the manga/anime? I actually saw this movie a couple years back but i have no idea who he was then. got surprised when i saw the movie again today that the lead star is Jay Chou. he will make your heart "doki doki" again. enjoy! :D

youknowyouloveme on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 10:56:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Hi there, sis! I've watched the anime on Animax and I've read really bad reviews about the live-action version featuring Jay Chou. But what the heck? I might as well watch it one of these days.

Speaking of which, I watched the Curse of the Golden Flower and I must say that Jay Chou's hotness was not enough to compensate for his stoic acting skills in that movie. Sadly, he was overshadowed by Chow Yun-Fat mere presence, and I didn't even know it was Chow Yun-Fat until after their sword scene. Lol!

Post a Comment

 

Weekend at the Movies Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei