Sunday, March 13, 2011

The House of Flying Daggers (2004 - China)

Posted by youknowyouloveme at 1:08 PM




Date of watching - 06 March 2011
Country of Origin - Japan
Rotten Tomatoes' Rating - 88%
IMDB's Rating - 7.6 out of 10
My Rating - 9/10


As much as I love movies with simple, straightforward storytelling, I must admit that I am a fan, too, of action films, especially if there are sword-fights, bows and arrows, machetes, samurais and martial arts.  If there is a love story thrown in the mix, and gorgeous, talented cast, as well as stunning scenery, more so.  Thus, it came no surprise that I was in so much awe after I watched the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  I was so enthralled that I kept watching it over and over again.  In fact, I thought then that I would never ever feel the same way about another (similar) movie again.

For years, I tried not to watch any other movies following the wake of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  I mean, I do not want to be disappointed.  The film is in fact, perfection.  An absolute beauty.  So, when the House of Flying Daggers was shown some four years after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I staunchly refused to see the movie even though it stars Zhang Ziyi, who was also in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Andy Lau (Infernal Affairs, Red Cliff) and Takeshi Kaneshiro (Red Cliff).  I didn’t know much about Takeshi Kaneshiro back then, but Andy Lau and Zhang Ziyi?  They’re two of the biggest stars in Asia.  Still, I didn’t want to be disillusioned so I opted not to watch the movie.

Not long after, I’ve forgotten about the House of Flying Daggers until 2 weeks ago when I was searching for a movie to watch.  Even if I just re-watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon recently, I tried to be courageous and I plopped myself in front of my laptop and watched the House of Flying Daggers.  Yup, I watch movies using my laptop.  My eyes are bad and I hate to watch with my glasses on, so I content myself with a 15.4 screen.  Doesn’t make sense, right?

Anyway, I fell in love with the House of Flying Daggers a mere ten minutes from its opening scene.  A couple of minutes more and I remembered why I so wanted to be like Zhang Ziyi.  With the face of an angel, she moves so ever eloquently.  I couldn’t help but recall the time when I watched a documentary about Zhang Ziyi (was it on Discovery or National Geographic?) and her rise to fame.  There were footages of her filming for a Japanese movie, it was for Princess Raccoon, I think, and her dance scene in the House of Flying Daggers, and how she persevered as a student of traditional Chinese dance in Beijing, being the envy of her peers.  I think it was said in the bio that she was not the top dancer in her class, but with her grace and beauty, and strong will (heck, she was practicing in the dark, alone, because she couldn’t practice during normal hours), she won a national competition, and then she became an actress and gained worldwide popularity with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  


 The First Encounter of the Cocky, Wild Wind Jin and the Sublime Beauty, Mei.


Anyway, Zhang Ziyi’s performance, not only in dance, but in her action moves as well, is captivating.  She simply owns the screen.  She has never looked so sublime as she did in the House of Flying Daggers.  Playing the part of a rare talented dancer, and a rarer beauty, in Peony Pavilion (a brothel of some sorts), Leo (Andy Lau) and Jin (Takeshi Kaneshiro), plan to capture Mei (Zhang Ziyi), reputedly the blind daughter of the fallen leader of the House of Flying Daggers, a rebel group acting against the government.  Leo and Jin, both police captains, were ordered to arrest Mei.  Jin went undercover as a patron in Peony Pavilion where he met Mei, the blind dancer, and unsuccessfully tried to force himself upon her.  Mei was spared when Leo arrived but the latter ordered her arrest.  To evade arrest, she performed the echo dance.  What is the echo dance?  See for yourself and you’ll find your jaw touching the floor.  You’d think that Mei is a goddess who descended from the heavens to perform a dance for mortals who hounds the forsaken world that is the earth.  The dance, though, didn’t end with a round of applause because Mei attempted to kill Leo, the police captain.  Of course, her treason failed and she was imprisoned. However, undercover Jin rescued Mei from prison and escaped to embark on a journey in hopes of learning the hideout of the rebel group, House of Flying Daggers.  This was in collusion with Leo, who seemed so relentless in telling Jin not to fall in love with Mei. 


 Pretty in Pink


 Flying High


Most of the scenes in the movie were shot in the forest, so all the more reasons for me to love this movie, but there’s still enough action and love story to keep anyone on their toes.  Of course, thrown in the mix is a love triangle and betrayal by almost everyone.  The movie could have been titled, “Trust and Betrayal” like the Rurounin Kenshin movie of the same title.  But I guess, the director wanted to hide the betrayal part because that seems to be the fuel that runs the story.

There were a lot of scenes in the movie where I was so emotionally involved:

Exhibit A: Mei’s savior.  Mei asked who saved her, and Jin answered, how can you forget the man who tried to undress you only yesterday?  And I was like, bwahahahaha! Jin’s the man!  He’s so sincere in his being a brute that even I found him so darn adorable.  I was laughing so hard.

Exhibit B:  Mei’s curiosity.  Mei wanted to know how Jin looks, but instead of touching his face Mei went down on her knees and started touching Jin god-knows-where.  I was like, Mei, you’re a sleazy, horny bitch.  But Jin just allowed himself to be sexually harassed.  Well, turned out that I have a malicious mind because Mei’s searching for Jin’s hands, not his groin.  Lol! 

Exhibit C: The bamboo forest scene.  Remember the bamboo scene between Chow Yun-Fat and Zhang Ziyi in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?  Yup, it’s reminiscent of that scene, only with lots of enemies climbing up, standing on, and sliding down the bamboos, plus, they’re throwing bamboos like javelins to trap Jin and Mei.  Perhaps Zhang Zimou, the director, wanted to top that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon bamboo scene by using more warriors displaying their ninja-like skills.  




Exhibit D:  Revelation of Mei and Leo’s relationship.  I was not so much concerned when Jin learned about Mei’s identity, but when the relationship between Mei and Leo was revealed, I shouted, “That bitch!”  I saw how happy Jin was when he was told he’s the chosen suitable husband for Mei and yet this Mei was involved with Leo all along.  But Mei redeemed herself in my eyes not long thereafter.

Exhibit E: The stalemate scene.  When Leo moved to throw the dagger at Jin and Mei did what she threatened to do, and the camera zoomed in on Leo’s empty hand, I shouted, “That bastard!” with such force enough to make my mother think I was going crazy.  Also, I was amazed with Mei: still hanging on to dear life.

Overall, the movie was simply astounding.  The use of colors is so surreal, so effective.  The hues of blue in the Peony Pavilion; and Mei dancing in pink.  Then, there is the seemingly all-green of the bamboo forest and the members of the House of Flying Daggers.  The yellow leaves of the trees in the parting scene between Jin and Mei; and the snow white battleground between Jin and Leo.  All throughout the movie, I was mesmerized by Mei’s beauty as well as the scenery.  And Leo’s fierce, jealous and selfish love for Mei was clearly conveyed by Andy Lau.  As for Jin, well, all he had to do is to appear on screen; a sly smile, a cocky demeanor, a gentle gaze, a soft look, a resolved courage, a pleading look, and a consummation of sadness.  When Mei denied Leo’s advances, Leo asked, I’ve been in love with you for three years, how can you fall in love with Jin in just three days?  And I was like, Leo, who wouldn’t fall in love with Jin?  


 A Play on Colors


Honestly, with a cast so gorgeous and talented, playing the characters so effectively against the backdrop of stunning scenery, and a plot that has been time-tested (trust, betrayal, love triangle), not to mention those standing-ovation-worthy action and battle scenes, everything in the movie works. The movie was so romantic and yet, so violent.  But it could not top Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  Nonetheless, the movie did not disappoint me in the slightest.  Indeed, this movie is full of win.




 Reunion and Parting


Andy Lau's Excellent Portrayal of Leo


 The Epic Battle Spanning from Autumn to Winter


  ♫ A rare beauty of the north
 She's the finest lady on earth
A glance from her, the whole city goes down
A second glance leaves the nation in ruins






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Weekend at the Movies Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei