Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thor (2011)

Posted by youknowyouloveme at 9:52 PM


Date and Place of viewing- 12 May 2011; Greenbelt 3
Country of Origin - USA
IMDB's Rating - 7.8 out of 10
Rotten Tomatoes Rating - 79%
My Rating - 8/10



     I remember Thor as a cartoon character: the Mighty Thor.  I've watched re-runs of the cartoons as a child and I vaguely remember the Nordic looks, the blond locks and the hammer, of course.  About the story?  Nothing at all.

     I watched Thor, the movie, last Thursday without any expectations.  I didn't know the actor who played Thor, except for his name, Chris Hemsworth.  But when I caught a glimpse of Thor on screen, he's a cutie; a beefcake.  A total hottie.

     Did muscles and god-like looks make the movie all the more worthwhile?  Yes, indeed!  However, I could not help but think that the movie is made for kids; it's very general patronage.  And the plot, too, is kinda shallow.  Moreover, I was surprised that Jane (Natalie Portman), a scientist, would be portrayed as a  very ditzy gal.  Really.  It was very odd.  You'd never know that she's a scientist unless she tells you so.  Every time she looks at Thor, she seems to want to run experiments on him; lusty experiments about the birds and the bees.  Lol!

     The things that I really liked about the movie are the special effects and the occasional jokes about other Marvel heroes, like Stark (Iron Man).  And of course, the very charming beefcake that is Chris Hemsworth.  He only needs to appear on screen and it'll be enough for me to forget that there's really no compelling story.

     Seriously, though, the special effects are literally out of this world.  Very wicked!  The rainbow-brite bridge is dazzling, especially when horses gallop on it.  Yay!  Color burst!  And Asgard is so surreal.  Whoever thought of how to make that realm come to life on the big screen has a very admirable imagination.  Asgard is sublimely breathtaking.



     And oh, I think I liked Loki, although his evilness is still quite lacking.  I mean, he's kinda vague in being evil.  He's more of a jealous prick who yearns acceptance for who he is, not evil personified.  He's proud, though, and a very sneaky bastard.

     Over-all, it was fun movie.  80% because of the special effects and 20% because of Chris Hemsworth.  Would I want to watch it again, ever?  Not really.  Not even for Thor the Beefcake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Weekend at the Movies Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei