Sunday, June 5, 2011

X-Men: First Class (2011)

Posted by youknowyouloveme at 10:55 AM
Date and Place of viewing- 04 May 2011; Glorietta Cinema 3
Country of Origin - USA
IMDB's Rating - 8.3 out of 10
Rotten Tomatoes Rating - 87%
My Rating - 9/10


     I've been religious in watching a movie at the theaters these past few weeks.  After Fast Five, I've watched Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, In My Life (Tagalog movie), and yesterday, X-Men: First Class.  Much as I was active in watching movies, I was so darn lazy making a review of the films I watched.  Oh well.  I am not the queen of procrastination for nothing.

     To tell you honestly, I do not know most of the cast of X-Men: First Class but it did not deter me in enjoying the movie.  There was no 3D for this movie but it really was not needed.  The film itself is quite fun and touching at times.

     I was in high school when the X-Men cartoon series was shown.  I was 13 or 14 years old then.  I religiously watched each and every episode so I am fairly familiar with the characters.  However, the series was set during the time of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Beast and Wolverine...you know, the characters in the previous X-Men series.  So, Professor X was already bald by then.  But this new movie focuses on the era when Professor X and Magento were still young (with hair) and had a few young recruits, like Alex Summers, a.k.a. Havoc,  Dr. Hank McCoy a.k.a. Beast, Raven a.k.a. Mystique, among others.  These kids were too young and too impulsive that they were just a bunch of partying-going kids with unique abilities.  However, with the guidance of the extremely rich and intelligent telepath Charles Xavier, he helped the kids, and Erik Lensherr a.k.a. Magneto, unlock their potential and control their powers.

     Yes, Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr were besties back then.  They shared a deep bond and Erik even trusted Charles Xavier.  And they have a common enemy, Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) and his minions in the Hellfire Club, including the very stoic Emma Frost (January Jones).

     And speaking of January Jones, she always gets the "ice queen" roles.  I wonder why?  Hahaha!  I mean, she really looks so cold, that is why.  She played Emma Frost like she played Betty in Mad Men: cold, haughty, very stiff.  An icy bitch.  She's someone easy to loathe: she's extremely beautiful.  Haha!  I don't know if January Jones' presence in the movie makes me imagine Erik Lensherr (Michael Fasserbender) as John Hamm.  I mean, I knew the character of Magneto was not played by John Hamm but every time I look at Magneto, I see John Hamm.  I even think that Erik Lensherr is very Don Drapper.  I mean, he'll say he doesn't want to sleep with Mystique because she's too young, but he still slept with her, and that's very Don Drapper.  Whatever, Michael Fasserbender looks like John Hamm, in this movie at least, and he bought class to the young Magneto's character, and a whole lot of gorgeousness and sexiness, and dammit, I miss John Hamm!  It made me think, why didn't they just sign up John Hamm for the role?  I think it's because he's a lot older.

    Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijin had guest appearances.  Everybody laughed. 

     Overall, the movie revolved around Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr's friendship and of course, the latter's grudge against Sebastian Shaw.  The so-called First Class only made a show and full use of their powers later in the movies.  

     I'll give X-Men: First Class a 9; it should have been an 8.5 but I'm giving an extra .5 for Michael Fasserbender.  He gave me the fantasy that John Hamm is Erik Lensherr.

       [ETA:  Oh, shit!  Nicholas Hoult who played Hank McCoy is the kid in About a Boy!  This information made me feel so old!  He's 21 now.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Weekend at the Movies Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei