Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II (2011)

Posted by youknowyouloveme at 10:36 AM



Date and Place of viewing- 15 July 2011; IMAX 3D, Mall of Asia  
IMDB's Rating - 8.7 out of 10
Rotten Tomatoes Rating - 97%
My Rating - 9.5/10 


Prologue:

If you're in the Philippines and you want to watch Harry Potter this weekend, well, good luck to you.  I was trying to reserve tickets via Sureseats.com (Ayala cinemas) since two weeks ago but I couldn't reserve more than two (2) tickets on weekdays and more than one (ticket) on weekend.  You'll have more luck if you're going to get in line but personally, I hate lining up for movie tickets of blockbuster films.  They're a pain and it might take even an hour to get tickets.  Besides, 3/4 of the tickets have been pre-sold, so why take chances lining up for tickets you might not get?  So I tried out reserving for IMAX tickets, and what do you know?  It's sold out for Friday night and the weekends, too!  There are still some seats left but you have to line up for those, and I didn't want that.  So I bought tickets for Friday, 4:30 pm, the only one with reserved tickets left but not by much.  When I got into the theaters, it was packed!  Only a few seats remain (those seats which were non-reservations).



     I have watched all the Harry Potter movies before, but hey, it was during a span of some 10 or 12 years so I couldn't possibly remember everything about the series.  Well, I do admit that I have read the books at least twice or thrice, except for the last book, the Deathly Hallows, which I only read once.  Still, I have no reason to forget about what happened in the first part of Deathly Hallows, right?  Right?!  But I did!  I forgot all about it despite watching it at the cinemas just last November!  OMG!  I am getting old!

     So, I couldn't understand the first few minutes of the movie why Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley were being chased and why they ended up at Dumbledore's brother's shack.  But, after I saw Neville Longbottom, the leader of the student's resistance at Hogwarts, I think certain pieces fell into place.  Well, perhaps for most, seeing Neville now would make most girls say, "Whoa!"  I mean, he's become a hottie overnight?!  Like Clive Owen-esque.  Really.  Exhibit A:  See poster below.


     Anyway, I like the darker theme of this installment.  After all, the kids who first watched the series a decade ago have now all grown.  Hogwarts has now become a battlefield, the last frontier, and students and adult witches and wizards alike were able to defend the fort but the school suffered considerable damage, and Harry's final battle with Voldemort was worth a decade's wait.

     There were funny moments, too, but all were overshadowed by looming deaths, including one of my favorite characters.  But we've also seen the rise of a hero, Neville, whose courage (and hotness) never ceased to amaze me all through out the movie.  Let's just say his ultimate spectacular moment was applauded by the moviegoers, unlike Harry's own shining moment.  Exhibit B:  See poster below:



     There's also Snape's untold memories.  I must say with his black eyeshadow and rosy lips, Snape looks kinda off.  Maybe its the IMAX factor.  Lol!

     I really loved this movie.  It's competing with my favorite in the series, Prisoner of Azkaban directed by Alfonso Cuaron (who also directed Children of Men starring Clive Owen).  I mean, you'll definitely get your money's worth if you watch it on IMAX (I forgot to say that I have some issues with resolution, though).  And mind you, the film is really, really good, and it will not make you puke or laugh wickedly due to distaste, which almost happened (the puking) and actually happened (laughing hysterically) to me when I watched a certain vampire movie series (which I refuse to name because it will just make me gag) at the cinemas.  Hey, I was dragged to the theaters to watch those vamp movies not on my own free will, okay?  But I watched all the Potter movies on my own volition. So definitely, this epic Harry Potter final movie triumphs at the box office on its own strengths.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Weekend at the Movies Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei